Frequently Asked Questions
Your Thoughts, Our Answers
Small/Mid-Size Trucks: Chevy Colorado, Toyota Tacoma, Ford Ranger, Nissan Frontier.
Pickup Trucks: Ford F150, Chevy/GMC 1500, Ram 1500, Toyota Tundra.
Full Size Pickup Trucks: Ford F250-550, Chevy 2500/3055, Ram 2500-5500.
Utility Bodies: Knapheide Service Bodies, Royal Service Bodies, Reading Service Bodies.
Flat Bed Trucks: CM Truck Beds, Knapheide Gooseneck Bodies, Reading Platform Bodies.
Commercial Vans: Mercedes Benz Sprinter, Ram Promaster, Ford Transit, Nissan NV Cargo
A LiftGator will either fit a 2” or 2 ½” hitch receiver. The two important measurements are: from the ground to the top of the hitch receiver, which must be 24” or less, and the top of the hitch receiver to the bed of the vehicle, which must be 24” or less
A LiftGator is simply rolled to the back of the vehicle on the provided wheels and slid into the hitch receiver. A LiftGator can be easily attached to the vehicle in less than three minutes.
The XTR is for truck applications, and the VLG is for commercial vans. A VLG features a fold-away frame system, which allows the van doors to be opened when the frame is folded down. The XTR features a fixed vertical rail frame.
No, a LiftGator rides securely on the vehicle when the provided hitch stabilizer is tightened.
Yes, a LiftGator comes with a full 1-year warranty covering structural, mechanical, and electrical systems. (See full Warranty at bottom of this page)
A LiftGator is powered by a self-contained battery system within the liftgate, which is recharged by the truck/van’s 7-pin connector or built-in 110v charger.
Yes, a VLG is compatible with both vans and trucks.
“M” model designates a liftgate with manual stabilizers. A “PS” designates a liftgate with electric powered stabilizers. Manual stabilizers have a drop pin to bring the foot down and a handcrank for a fine adjustment. Electric stabilizers are actuated by a control switch on the side of the upright rail.
A LiftGator will arrive in a crate. All you must do is take it out of the crate, roll it up to the back of your vehicle, and insert it into your hitch receiver.
Each LiftGator is produced by experienced fabricators in Watertown, SD. Steel and aluminum are sourced from American mills to ensure the highest quality.
Every month you should:
- Check for damage to lifting structure such as bent/misaligned members or cracked welds possibly resulting from misuse.
- Check that all pins, bolts, and fasteners are tight and secure.
- Check for worn or damaged bearings, pivoting points, pulleys, and cables.
- Check that all controls operate properly.
- Check all electrical wires and connections. They must be tight and free of corrosion.
- Check that the platform, fold-up pins secure the platform in a safe transport position.
- Check lubrication of all pulleys, cables, and winch – refer to “Lubrication Instructions” below.
- Perform all monthly procedures.
- Check that all decals are in place and legible. Call LiftGator (605-753-0919) for decal ordering instructions.
- Inspect Winch for wear and damage.
Your LiftGator should be lubricated every 3 months. Using a lightweight machine oil or white lithium grease, lubricate all the pivoting and rubbing joints on the LiftGator, including:
- Front Flap and Kick Flap pivoting hinges.
- All pivot points located on the fold-up linkages.
- Pivot points between the two carriers and platform center.
- Entire length of both wire ropes (white lithium grease).
- Run the LiftGator through a full cycle (up and down) while lubricating the wire rope as it cycles through the upper pulleys, lower pulleys, and winch clamp.
- Upper pulleys, lower pulleys, and tensioner pulley pivot points
We currently use Duracell 12v 20ah batteries. If you need to replace your batteries, you should be able to find these kinds of batteries at a local Batteries Plus or similar battery store.
Feel free to give us a call at LiftGator (605-753-0919). Our in-house technician will be able to talk with you about any potential fixes you may be able to do. If a replacement part is required, we will be able to send that out so that you can fix your LiftGator.
Please follow this procedure:
- Pull the pin from the stabilizers.
- Let the jack leg drop to the ground.
- Find the next available hole in the jack leg and place the pin back in the leg (spring/coil facing the vehicle).
- Then use the switches (or handle) to move the stabilizers down.
- Return drop leg to uppermost position after use.
One of the biggest problems we see is that if you have a Power Stabilizer model, that the jack legs get over-extended or that the jack leg is pulled up too high, and the pin is pulled into the stabilizer leg and gets stuck. Be sure to place the pins in correctly (spring/coil on pin towards the vehicle) so that the pin engages with our limit switches so that this problem does not occur.
A LiftGator price can vary depending on a few different factors. For a specific quote, please reach out to us at LiftGator, or a local distributor who may carry LiftGator lifts. Shipping price can vary depending on where you are and if we are delivering to a business with a forklift or a residential area. LiftGator is in Watertown, SD, so all shipping will be departing from Watertown.
Currently, our lead time is around 4 weeks. We are working diligently to get caught up so that we can build an inventory so that we can ship them as soon as we get an order in. In the Fall of 2019, LiftGator moved from Texas to Watertown with some new ownership. Please bear with us during this time as we get settled in and caught up with production.
Type of Warranty: Full parts and labor
Term of Warranty: 1-year warranty on all parts
1-year warranty from point of sales from distributor
This warranty shall not apply unless the product is installed, operated and maintained in accordance with LiftGator’s user manuals specifications (XTR Manual and VLG Manual). This warranty does not cover normal wear, maintenance or adjustments, damage or malfunction caused by improper handling, installation, abuse, misuse, negligence, or carelessness of operation. In addition, this warranty does not cover equipment that has had unauthorized modifications or alterations made to the product. You are responsible for proper installation, operation and maintenance as specified in our manuals and for using the product in recommended applications and capacities. You may be required to make the product or part to be covered by this warranty available to us and/or returned to us for review and evaluation. If apart is required to be sent back to LiftGator for replacement or repair, the customer will provide payment for the shipping cost to get the part or unit back to LiftGator. LiftGator will cover all expenses to ship the item back to the customer.
Warranty applies to purchases of LiftGator lifts from LiftGator directly, or one of our verified distributors. If you are purchasing from one of our distributors, and the distributor has had the LiftGator lift for more than a year, your warranty would not be valid.
2707 Piper Avenue
Watertown, SD 57201
You Can Visualize Your Truck with a LiftGator.
Enter your info, and we’ll reach out to discuss our best options for your needs.
LiftGator Instructional Videos
Watch and Learn
Our Current Range of CompatibilityDownload Fitment Guide
Small/Mid Size Trucks
- Chevy Colorado
- Toyota Tacoma
- Ford Ranger
- Nissan Frontier
- Ford F150
- Chevy/GMC 1500
- Ram 1500
- Toyota Tundra
Full-Size Pickup Trucks
- Ford F250-550
- Chevy 2500/3055
- Ram 2500-5500
- Most Full-Size Pickup Chassis
- Dakota Bodies Service Bodies
- Royal Service Bodies
- Reading Service Bodies
- Most Other Utility Bodies
Flat Bed Trucks
- CM Truck Beds
- Reading Platform Bodies
- Most Other Flat Bed Bodies
- Mercedez Benz Sprinter
- Ram Promaster
- Ford Transit
- Nissan NV Cargo